[R-meta] mean-variance relationships introduces additional heterogeneity, how?

Luke Martinez m@rt|nez|ukerm @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 25 01:08:42 CEST 2021

Many thanks James!

Just to make sure, do pi_Ai and pi_Bi represent (in my participants
taking a test context) the proportion of correct responses in each
group (treatment vs. control) respectively?

We're saying that even though these proportions (pi_Ai and pi_Bi) have
a constant and linear relation via the multiplicative coefficient
lambda in and across all the studies such that the treatment effect is
the same across all the studies, we still get varying SMDs across
these studies and that's due to simply the natural mean-sd
relationship underlying the data-generating process for the raw scores
(counts of some sort).

If yes, I guess the difficult part (for me) becomes providing
empirical support that at least there is evidence of mean-sd relation
in my data whereby to provide evidence for the assumed the
data-generating process. In my case (with longitudinal primary
studies), for example, the smallest study gives the following results.

Can I plot anything here (or for any other study) to empirically show
mean-sd relation?

Many thanks,
Luke

d="
Mt             SDt  nt       Mc     SDc nc time
0.0799 0.0367 21 0.0763 0.0389 26 0
0.113   0.0472 21 0.1095 0.0537 26 1"

dat <- read.table(text=d, h=T)