[R-meta] Multivariate meta regression and predict for robust estimates

Ivan Jukic |v@n@juk|c @end|ng |rom @ut@@c@nz
Fri Oct 22 05:51:43 CEST 2021

Dear Reza,

Regarding the SATcoaching, I see, and since these ABC identifiers suggest these are all different studies (coming from the same authors) what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I just didn't realise that these samples are independent. Thank you!

>> I don't know how your data exactly looks, but the equivalence between
the two models would mean that there is not much variation in the
group as a level. Therefore, in practice your second model reduces to
the third model. In other words, study-group combinations = row_ids.

1) I don't have groups, perhaps I misled you with the word "group" that I used in my original post. I always have a continuous moderator of interest, two outcomes, and multiple effect sizes from the same study for at least one of the two outcomes. However, I understand exactly what you mean by this. While I wanted to keep this discussion rather conceptual, I'll provide an example of my dataset just to avoid potential confusion (see at the bottom).

2) By "study-group combinations" terminology to describe your row_id you just mean es_id, or number for each entry in the dataset (es_id = 1:n()), isn't it?

3) Maybe I confused you with my message, what I meant by the fact that the models are the same is that they are both returning *identical* outputs (all estimates). Actually, the second model *also* returns gamma and phi estimates which are missing in the third model you described. The second model seems to be overparameterized because "Some combinations of the levels of the inner factor never occurred. Corresponding phi value(s) fixed to 0". This is not happening with the third model, of course. I guess I misspecified it due to the confusion of the data structure?

>>... please take this answer as just providing some intuition/heuristics).

Of course! I really appreciate this conceptual level discussion, and you provided much more than I expected, so thank you very much!

study ---- mod1 ---- outcome ---- es_id
1                  15                  1                  1
1                  15                  1                  2
1                  15                  0                  3
1                  15                  0                  4
1                  30                  1                  5
1                  30                  1                  6
1                  30                  0                  7
1                  30                  0                  8
.
.
.

Cheers,