[R-meta] Bivariate generalized linear mixed model with {metafor}

Arthur Albuquerque @rthurc@|r|o @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 18 19:24:27 CEST 2021

Dear Michael,

I’m sorry, my bad.

It’s a binomial model with the logit link, in which the average baseline and treatment risks are treated as fixed effects. Moreover, there are two study-specific parameters (random-effects), and these are assumed to follow a bivariate normal distribution with covariance matrix “E”. This matrix includes the between-study variances for the baseline and treatment odds +  the correlation between the baseline and treatment risks in the logit scale.

The authors then explain how to estimate marginal and conditional effects from this model using formulas. I am also not sure how to estimate these using metafor.

They suggest using this model “to include the baseline risk and report the variation in the effect measure with baseline risks in addition to the marginal effect, regardless of the measure of choice”.

Sorry for the confusion, it’s my first time asking here and it is a quite complicated topic (at least for me).

Best,

Arthur M. Albuquerque

Medical student
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil