[R-meta] Guidance regarding balance in fixed- and random-effects

Thu Oct 14 14:20:41 CEST 2021

If the estimate of sigma^2 for lab is zero, then

rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 | lab / study / outcome / time / rowID)

and

rma.mv(yi ~ mod1*mod2, vi, random = ~ 1 | study / time / rowID)

are identical. So I would not bother to manually drop the lab random effect, since in essence this happens automatically.

In general, I would use (1) for all analyses since this is the a priori chosen model that is meant to reflect the dependencies and sources of heterogeneity you think may be relevant. If some components end up being 0 in some models, then so be it, but I would stick to one model for all analyses.