[R-meta] Time as indicator vs time as meaning

Sun Oct 10 19:39:56 CEST 2021

Actually, if you are really going this route, I would consider:

rma.mv(es ~ time_wks_btw + time_wks_wth, random = list(~ time_wks_wth | study, ~ time_meaning_wks | study, struct = c("GEN","CAR"))

that is, add random intercepts for studies, random slopes for time_wks_wth, and also add a CAR structure on top of that (whether you use time_meaning_wks or time_wks_wth for that does not matter, since it is only the relative distance within studies that matters and that will be the same wehther you do within-study centering or not). Not sure whether this is overparameterized. profile() will tell you.

Note that if 'es' was calculated based on the same group of subjects within studies, then the sampling errors are not independent. One could also assume that the sampling errors are autocorrelated with a CAR structure. You can construct an approximate V matrix using impute_covariance_matrix() from clubSandwich or the new vcalc() function in metafor (in the devel version: https://wviechtb.github.io/metafor/reference/vcalc.html).