[R-meta] Meta-analyzing studies that failed to account for their nested data

Timothy MacKenzie |@w|@wt @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Oct 5 23:51:37 CEST 2021

Dear All,

I just read a paper (
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.3758/s13428-011-0153-1.pdf) that
made me think whether I understood your advice correctly or not.

My question was what to do with studies that provide "means" and "sds" for
"student-level" data while they ignore their students being nested in
classrooms.

The article linked above says that only if we calculate an SMD based on
"cluster-level" data (d_cluster), then d_cluster is upwardly biased.

But I want to calculate an SMD for studies only based on "student-level"
data (d_individual), so do I need to adjust "d_individual" just like
"d_cluster"?

Thank you for clarifying this confusion for me,
Tim M