[R-meta] Best choice of effect size

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Oct 4 02:09:45 CEST 2021

Hi Luke,
James

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:16 PM Luke Martinez <martinezlukerm using gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear James,
>
> Thank you for the thorough and thought-provoking response. Here are my
> two takeaways:
>
>  1- Your insightful advice seems to be a general criticism of SMDs in
> general due to the use of some form of SD in the denominator and not
> just when dealing with my situation (i.e., studies reporting M, and SD
> of proportions and/or counts), right?
>
> I would not go quite that far. The concerns I raised with the SMD are more
salient when dealing with outcomes that are proportions or counts.

> 2- When using SMDs, one has to keep an open eye regarding reliability
> estimates, and factors affecting them (e.g., time provided for the
> test) in the studies and possibly control for them in the analysis,
> right?
>
> Yes. Although, I would add that using an effect measure that is invariant
(or at least relatively robust) to such factors is preferable to trying to
account for the factors using meta-regression.

> I also wanted to clarify two things:
>
> First, by log-transformed response ratio, you mean "ROM" or "ROMC" as
> represented in metafor::escalc?
>
> Yes.

Second, by reference group, you simply mean the mean for each
> treatment group as denoted by M_t in (M_t - M_c / Pooled_SD)?
>
> I had in mind the control groups (M_c), although my comment would apply
equally to the treatment groups.