[R-meta] Does clubSandwich::coef_test() handle crossed random-effects?

Farzad Keyhan |@keyh@n|h@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Oct 3 07:34:53 CEST 2021

Hello Wolfgang and James,

I have 51 studies, but when I run an unconditional model (below),
coef_test() outputs a df of 4.76 (makes no sense).

I suspected that coef_test() is not picking up my highest-level
cluster (study). So, I made that explicit in the call. And then, I got
an error saying "random effects are not nested".

First, does clubSandwich handle models with crossed random-effects? If
not, is there an alternative code for rma.mv() models to accomplish
similar things (I wanted to do egger's test as well)--and of course
the small sample correction may not be available there.

Thanks, Fred

# Note 'scale' is crossed with 'study'
m1 <- rma.mv(yi, V, random = list(~1|study/es, ~1|scale), data=data)

coef_test(m1, "CR2")
    Coef. Estimate    SE t-stat d.f. p-val (Satt) Sig.
1 intrcpt    0.506 0.193   2.63 4.76       0.0489    *

## I made cluster explicit but get an error:
coef_test(m1, "CR2", cluster = data$study)
*** Error: Random effects are not nested within clustering