[R-meta] how to interpreat a significant moderator variable but in-significant F test

Sat Oct 2 12:16:14 CEST 2021

Dear Martin,

This can happen and it can go either way: 1) non-significant omnibus test combined with one or more significant contrasts with the reference level and 2) significant omnibus test combined with no significant contrasts with the reference level.

1) can happen when many pairs of levels do not differ from each other except for a few. Then the power of the omnibus test is 'dragged down' by only a few levels differing from each other. Note also that the one significant contrast just barely makes it below .05.

2) can happen when the pairs of levels that actually differ from each other are not contrasts with the reference level. Say there are three levels, A, B, and C, and let A be the reference level. Say A = 0, B = -0.5 and C = 0.5. Then maybe the A-B and A-C contrasts are not significant, but B-C could very well be, but you don't see this in the output directly since A is the reference level (one could of course easily test the B-C contrast based on the model). The omnibus test is not affected by the level chosen as the reference level and might pick up that large B-C difference.

So, in the end, you should decide on your testing strategy beforehand. You could: 1) only look at individual contrasts when the omnibus test is significant or 2) ignore the omnibus test and look at the individual contrasts. If you go with 2), then you might want to consider some adjustment for multiple testing (which one could also use with the first strategy, but this might be less crucial).