[R-meta] Escalc function: Possible to compute single standardized mean as outcomes?

Sera Wiechert @@w|echert @end|ng |rom uv@@n|
Wed Nov 24 11:03:26 CET 2021

Dear all,

I would like to use the metafor package [escalc function] to calculate my effect size.

I saw that the metafor escalc function measure = MN is for raw means. However, I am looking to calculate a "standardized mean". In my studies, only a single outcome is reported (�recalled number of words�). The problem is that sometimes this is reported as a proportion (e.g., percentage recalled words of all possible study words, percentage of recalled words of possible condition-specific words) and sometimes as raw numbers. Thus, I only have one quantitative outcome variable, which is sometimes operationalized in different scales across studies.

This is why I had the idea to use some sort of �standardized mean� instead of the raw mean. Is this possible? And if so, is there an escalc function measure for this?

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Sera