[R-meta] AICc or variance components, which one matters more?

Sat Nov 13 16:16:00 CET 2021

>>> I don't know why you think a model is better if the estimates of its variance
>components are non-zero.
>
>Because of two things. 1) It maybe more desirable/efficient for a random factor
>to explain some heterogeneity (as in g1) rather than not (as in g2). 2) The CI
>for the variance component (using the full data) is narrower for lab in g1
>relative to that in g2.

One can debate 1) For example, if I fit a random-effects model and tau^2 ends up being estimated to be 0, then I would be happy, because this suggests that the true effects are homogeneous, which *greatly* simplifies the conclusions. In fact, my estimate of the pooled effect is then *more* efficient than if there was heterogeneity.

As for 2) To me, that would not be a reason for picking one model over the other, at least not in this case where the two models are making fundamentally different assumptions about the structure of the data.

>>> Personally, I would rather think about the meaning of these models and use the
>one that makes more sense in the given context.
>
>Sure, but that's not always as straightforward. For instance, imagine in your
>current data, the dominant structure is the hierarchy of A over B with a few
>exceptions where this hierarchy can break (meaning A and B can also be considered
>crossed).
>
>In such a situation, one may think that if my data was much larger, then the few
>exceptions in the current data may actually turn out to be the dominant structure
>(meaning A and B being crossed may be a more representative model of the
>population structure of A and B) or may be that's just overthinking.
>
>So when meaning alone is not that conclusive, you may a bit rely on the
>comparison across a set of candidate models. Here, AICc and how much
>heterogeneity is explained by each model may at least help you pick the one that
>more fully describes your current data.
>
>Curious to know your thoughts?

If you want to compare models, then fit indices would be a useful approach (and if the models are nested, then LRTs could be used).