[R-meta] rma.mv: why some var components change but others don't across 2 models

Tue Nov 2 14:08:58 CET 2021

Yes, if the values of 'outcome' have inherent meaning, you can consider using it as a crossed random effect. That does not actually exclude the possibility of adding another random effect nested within studies, that is:

random = list(~ 1 | study / id, ~ 1 | outcome, ~ 1 | measure)

where 'id' is unique to every row in the dataset.