[R-meta] Compiling different design in the same met-analysis

Tue May 4 12:59:44 CEST 2021

You can do a likelihood ratio test. Using the same example:

library(metafor)
dat <- escalc(measure="RR", ai=tpos, bi=tneg, ci=cpos, di=cneg, data=dat.bcg)
dat$alloc <- ifelse(dat$alloc == "random", "random", "other")
res1 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ alloc, random = ~ alloc | trial, struct="DIAG", data=dat, digits=3)
res0 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ alloc, random = ~ alloc | trial, struct="ID", data=dat, digits=3)
anova(res1, res0)

The issue you mention at the end is not relevant here, since we are testing H0: tau^2_1 = tau^2_2, not something like H0: tau^2 = 0. In the latter case, the parameter is at the boundary of the parameter space under the null hypothesis, which leads to the issue you mention.