[R-meta] Compiling different design in the same met-analysis

Tue May 4 12:14:25 CEST 2021

If one runs separate meta-analyses, one can also test for subgroup differences. This is not a distinguishing characteristic. The main difference is that separate meta-analyses automatically allow all parameters (including any variance components) to differ across analyses, while a single meta-regression model (with a categorical moderator) will by default assume that all parameters except of course for the subgroup means are the same across subgroups. But even this assumption can be relaxed and one can fit a meta-regression model that will give you exactly identical results as fitting separate meta-analyses within subgroups. See here:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:comp_two_independent_estimates

The same idea generalizes to models such as those that can be fitted with rma.mv().

>>> Gladys