[R-meta] Compiling different design in the same met-analysis

Gladys Barragan-Jason g|@dou86 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 3 13:24:03 CEST 2021

Hi Michael,
Thanks a lot for your quick response. Here are answers and other questions
below.

Le lun. 3 mai 2021 à 12:41, Michael Dewey <lists using dewey.myzen.co.uk> a
écrit :

> Dear Gladys
>
> Comments in-line
>
> On 03/05/2021 08:13, Gladys Barragan-Jason wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am doing a meta-analysis on experimental data on the impact on
> > several behavioral interventions including both *pre-post studies*
> > (measurement of a trait before and after the intervention) *and control
> > vs. treatment studies *(measurement after a control intervention vs.
> > measurement after the intervention).
>
> So the first design just has one group which is measured twice and the
> second design has two parallel groups which are each measured once?

Exactly!

> > I am interested in the effect size of each type of intervention on a
> > specific trait that is common to all studies.
> >
> > I would like to know whether it is correct to compile all studies from
> > one type of intervention (whatever the type of comparisons: pre-pot and
> > control vs. treatment group together) with pre- and control being as
> > control and post and treatment being as treatment.
> >

> I do not think that is going to work well. Although the two designs
> could be considered as estimating the same effect their variability
> should be very different since in design 1 you have reduced the effect
> of individual variability. If you do include both designs in one
> analysis I would have thought it mandatory to include a moderator with
> two levels for design.

This makes sense. When I do this, I then obtain two effect sizes (one for
each design); (in having mods=~design-1). Do you know how I can get the
overall effect size?

> > I have a second question about how to thank the
> > r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
> > <mailto:r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org> list for all their help
> > (acknowledgements in a paper).
>
> I would have thought the URL
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-meta-analysis//
> was better. How to do this will also depend on custom and practice in
> your scientific discipline, some journals in mine require people who are
> acknowledged to give their consent.

Ok! Thanks a lot!

Best,
Gladys