[R-meta] Capturing the variability at the lowest level of longitudinal studies

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Sat May 1 14:50:06 CEST 2021

Dear Simon

I am not the world's greatest expert on these designs but I would have
included ~1 | esid not ~time | esid

Incidentally you posted in HTML not plain text which leads to messages
getting scrmbled.

Michael

On 01/05/2021 00:41, Simon Harmel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm running a meta-analysis on a sample of longitudinal studies. However,
> there is so much variability both in the number and in the value of the
> time points used in each study.
>
> My general data structure looks like:
>
> study  yi  time  esid x1
>    1      .1    1     1
>    1      .2    4     2
>    2      .3    2     3
>    2      .4    2     4
>    2      .5    2     5
>    3      .6    3     6
>
> I was wondering what --rma.mv()-- syntax can capture the variability at the
> lowest level in my data?
>
> Currently, I'm using the following, which I know can't capture the
> variability at the lowest level in my data:
>
> m1 <- rma.mv(yi ~ time + x1, V = V, struct = "HAR",
>                     random = ~time | study,
>                     data = data)
>
> I also tried the following:
>
> m2 <- rma.mv(yi ~ time + x1, V = V, struct = c("HAR","HAR"),
>                             random = list(~time | study, ~time | esid),
>                             data = data)
>
> But I get a warning that says:
> "Each level of the outer factor contains only a single level of the inner
> factor, so fixed value of phi to 0. "
>

> I appreciate your expertise,
> Simon
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]