[R-meta] Multivariate meta-analysis when "some studies" are multi-outcome

Thu Mar 18 14:53:05 CET 2021

I wouldn't think of dependence in sampling errors arising from 'levels'. It arises whenever multiple estimates are computed with some kind of overlap (or even total overlap) in the subjects being used for the computations.

For example, the exact same n subjects are used to compute estimates 1 and 2 for two different response variables. Or the exact same n subjects are used to compute estimates 1 and 2 for two different follow-up timepoints. Or two estimates are computed, one contrasting treatment group 1 with the control group and the other contrasting treatment group 2 with the control group (then there is overlap due reuse of the control group). One can also have all kinds of combinations of these things.

Of course, the degree of dependence depends on various things: How much overlap is there in the subjects? How strongly are two different response variables correlated? How much does the same response variable correlate over time? Also, the source of the dependence leads to different equations that can be used to estimate the correlation between the sampling errors of non-independent estimates.

But the bottom line is: If at least one subject is involved in the computation of two different estimates, then the sampling errors of the two estimates are (probably) not independent.