[R-meta] Multivariate meta-analysis when "some studies" are multi-outcome

Gladys Barragan-Jason g|@dou86 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 18 11:52:30 CET 2021

Thank you so much!

Le jeu. 18 mars 2021 à 11:50, Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) <
wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl> a écrit :

> Dear Gladys,
>
> random=list( ~1|study,~1|lab) makes little sense, since study = 1 from lab
> X would receive the same random effect as study = 1 from lab Y, but I
> assume that the 1 is just a number that distinguishes multiple studies from
> the same lab and has no inherent meaning that somehow links the 1 from lab
> X to the 1 from lab Y.
>
> Instead, random=~1|lab/study (you don't need the list()) seems more
> applicable. This adds random effects for each level of lab and for each
> study within each lab. Hence, the combination X-1 will be a different
> random effect than the combiantion Y-1.
>
> However, this assumes no heterogeneity of the true effects within a study
> (within a lab). For example, this would assume that the 0.3 and 0.6 (for
> X-1) are both estimates of the same underlying true effect, which is
> assumed to be identical. That may or may not be true. Hence, as I noted in
> my response to Simon (see also
> https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:konstantopoulos2011 and
> search the archives for similar discussions), one should add higher level
> random effects (such as those for study and lab) to the random effects at
> the estimate level. So, if you dataset is called 'dat', then do:
>
> dat$estid <- 1:nrow(dat)
>
> in combination with random=~1|lab/study/estid.
>
> Finally, random=list(~1|lab, ~1|lab/study) is superfluous. ~ 1 | lab adds
> random effects for each level of lab and ~1|lab/study also does this (plus
> it adds random effects for each level of study within lab). So this would
> add random effects for lab twice.

Gladys Barragan-Jason, PhD.  Website
<https://sites.google.com/view/gladysbarraganjason/home>

Station d'Ecologie Théorique et Expérimentale (SETE)

CNRS de Moulis

[image: image.png][image: image.png]