[R-meta] Multivariate meta-analysis when "some studies" are multi-outcome

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Mar 15 17:30:55 CET 2021

Dear Prof. Viechtbauer,

Many thanks for your response. I found the following particularly helpful (
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2019-March/001484.html).

So, I went from my initial model: `rma.mv(d, V = SE^2, mods =
~factor(outcome)-1, random= ~1|id, data = dat)`
to now:

`V <- clubSandwich::impute_covariance_matrix(vi = dat$SE^2, cluster =
dat$id, r = 0.7)`
`rma.mv(d, V = V, mods = ~factor(outcome)-1, random= ~1|id, data = dat)`

However, what type of dependence is accounted for by the multilevel part
(i.e., `random= ~1|id`), and what type of dependence is accounted for by
including the imputed variance-covariance matrix?

Specifically, in my data, all primary studies (n=52) are longitudinal, 15
of them are multi-outcome, and almost all are multi-group treatments. Are
all of these types of dependence reasonably accounted for?

Many thanks for your consideration,
Simon