[R-meta] Multivariate meta-analysis when "some studies" are multi-outcome

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Mar 13 23:52:43 CET 2021

Dear All,

I'm conducting a meta-analysis where 15 out of 52 studies have used more
than one outcome variable. In addition, almost all studies include multiple
treatments.

A shortened version (i.e., without moderators) of our dataset appears below
(`*id`=study id; `d`=effect size; `SE` = standard error; `outcome`=outcome
variable index*).

I was wondering what would be the appropriate modeling options for such a
situation?

I appreciate your expertise and consideration,
Simon

*#-- R data and code:*
dat <- read.csv("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hkil/m/master/tst.csv")

library(metafor)
rma.mv(d, V = SE^2, mods = ~factor(outcome)-1, random= ~1|id, data = dat)
## I'm assuming this would be an insufficient model