[R-meta] Random-effect specification in rma.mv() for multiple sources?

Timothy MacKenzie |@w|@wt @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 29 04:39:51 CEST 2021

Dear all,

I noticed some errors in the copy-pasted data structure in my previous post
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2021-June/002953.html).
Below is my correct data structure. From left to right, one can see the
hierachical structure in my dataset:   study > sample > outcome > time >
control > obs

Q:  Would the following random-effect structure account for all the above
sources (as a first step to then drop the ones that are insignificant)?

random = list(~ sample | study, ~ time | interaction(study,sample,outcome),
~ 1 | control, ~ 1 | obs)

Thanks, Tim

study  sample  outcome time  control obs
1      1       1       1     1       1
1      1       2       1     1       2
1      1       1       2     1       3
1      1       2       2     1       4