[R-meta] Effect size for F-test

Tue Jun 15 12:28:56 CEST 2021

Dear Crystal,

Not sure what the reviewer wants. The coefficients for different levels of 'iv_category' are contrasts between these levels and the reference level of 'iv_category' and in that sense could be considered to be the 'effect sizes' but there is not just one such 'effect size' but as many as there are contrasts.

But I suspect that the reviewer, seeing an F-test, is asking about something like eta-squared (or R-squared). For this, you can do the following:

mod.iv <- rma.mv(yi, vi, data = meta, mods = ~ factor(iv_category),
                 random = list(~ 1 | id, ~ 1 | no_effects), tdist = TRUE)

mod.0 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, data = meta,
                 random = list(~ 1 | id, ~ 1 | no_effects), tdist = TRUE)

(mod.0$sigma2 - mod.iv$sigma2) / mod.0$sigma2

which gives the proportional reduction in the two variance components when iv_category is added as a moderator and these are pseudo R-squared type measures. If you just want a single R-squared value, then use

(sum(mod.0$sigma2) - sum(mod.iv$sigma2)) / sum(mod.0$sigma2)