[R-meta] Do we assume multi-stage sampling of effect sizes in multi-level models?

Farzad Keyhan |@keyh@n|h@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 21 20:40:42 CEST 2021

I have (and had) no issue with the first stage of sampling (simple random
sampling of studies). I also have no problem assuming (only
epistemologically) that there could be a "literature [that] has measured a
very large number of outcomes" (whatever 'outcome' means which may
introduce another stage of [random] sampling).

My problem is with the second stage of the sampling. Particularly, to think
that knowledge at this stage can be formed on a simple random
sampling basis of some universe and not a non-probability (and perhaps
thoughtfully biased like purposive sampling) one is a bit counter-intuitive.

In the end, compared to primary data, simple random sampling of effect
sizes (at any stage of sampling) seems a bit restricted.

Once again many thanks for sharing your expertise (a question about your
expanding range paper to follow)
Fred