[R-meta] correct tau interpretation three-level meta-analysis

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jul 6 23:16:12 CEST 2021

Hi Filippo,

Please keep the listserv cc'd. Responses below.

James

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:57 PM Filippo Gambarota <
filippo.gambarota using gmail.com> wrote:

> thank you James, this is extremely clear. If I understand correctly, my
> model under some situations could be not appropriate for variance
> estimation.
> Do you think that a bayesian model could partially mitigate the variance
> estimation? especially for the within-cluster variance?

A Bayesian model would still require making some assumption about the
correlation between effect size estimates, so it doesn't necessarily solve
the problem (although, it could be a good approach for all the usual
reasons that Bayesian inference is useful).

> In general yes, I have let's say 10 studies where the same sample is
> tested with several response variables. The three-level seemed the most
> appropriate to me (especially compared to the multivariate approach).

To get improved estimates of variance components, I think the best thing to
do would be to try and collect information about the correlations between
outcomes and use that to specify a variance-covariance matrix for effect
size estimates, as has been discussed in several previous exchanges on the
listserv. Short of that, you could specify an approximate
variance-covariance matrix, making some simplified assumption about the
unknown correlations, and then do sensitivity analysis across a range of
correlations.

> Do you suggest the robust variance estimation approach?

RVE can be helpful for improving the coverage properties of confidence
intervals and the calibration of hypothesis tests *for average effect
sizes*, especially when there is concern about potential model
mis-specification. Fernandez-Castilla and colleagues (citation below) also
found that it can be helpful to use RVE in combination with 3LMA for this
purpose. But RVE does not help with estimation of variance components.

James