[R-meta] Help specifying a three-level model

Thu Feb 18 09:59:47 CET 2021

Dear Frank,

From what you describe, it sounds like

random = ~ 1 | Country / SampleID / EstimateID

would be a starting point, where 'EstimateID' is just

dat$EstimateID <- 1:nrow(dat)

Argument 'struct' is irrelevant here.

Don't use -1 in 'mods'. See here:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:models_with_or_without_intercept

With anova(Fit0, Fit1) you can do a LRT comparing the two models. For comparing models with different fixed effects (as you are doing), you would have to use ML estimation (i.e., method="ML") instead of REML estimation (which is the default). But you can also just do a Wald-type test instead with:

anova(Fit1, btt=3:5)

which should give you the omnibus test of the coefficients for HOF_powerDist, HOF_indivCol,
HOF_masFem.

To get pseudo R^2 values, you can do:

(Fit0$sigma2 - Fit1$sigma2) / Fit0$sigma2

to estimate the proportional reduction in each variance component as the additional fixed effects are added to the model or:

(sum(Fit0$sigma2) - sum(Fit1$sigma2)) / sum(Fit0$sigma2)

to get the proportional reduction of the total amount of heterogeneity.

Given that the moderators are measured at the country level, the largest reductions (if any) should be observable for the country-level variance component, although in practice things don't divide that neatly.