[R-meta] Dealing with effect size dependance with a small number of studies

Tue Feb 9 12:41:12 CET 2021

Dear Danka,

Indeed, when a variance component in such a model is estimated to be zero, then this is the same as dropping this particular random effect from the model. Whether your two models below are really identical though depends on how you coded the ID variables. There is what could be called implicit and explicit coding of the levels. Implicit coding would for example be:

IDstudy IDeffect
1       1
1       3
2       1
3       1
3       3
3       4
4       1
4       2

and then using 'random = ~ 1 | IDstudy / IDeffect'.

Explicit coding would be:

IDstudy IDeffect
1       1
1       2
2       3
3       4
3       5
3       6
4       7
4       8

Then one can still use 'random = ~ 1 | IDstudy / IDeffect' or equivalently 'random = list(~ 1 | IDstudy, ~ 1 | IDeffect)'.

If the IDstudy variance component is estimated to be 0, then this is identical to 'random = ~ 1 | IDeffect' **only under explicit coding**. If implicit coding was used, then one would have to use, for example, 'random = ~ 1 | interaction(IDstudy, IDeffect)'.

So, in your case, if you used implicit coding (so that IDeffect jumps back to 1 when IDsubsample changes), then the two would not be the same.

As for what to report: I would also report the results from the full model.