[R-meta] Publication bias with multivariate meta analysis

Dr. Gerta Rücker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Tue Aug 31 13:07:02 CEST 2021

Dear Norman,

Please find my response inline below. (I skipped some lines of your e-mail).

Am 31.08.2021 um 00:07 schrieb Norman DAURELLE:

> Dear Gerta, dear list members
>
> thank you for your answer. I read the paper you indicated, and it was
> really interesting for me to learn about what is discussed in it.
>
> In a way it gives me more questions than answers : I used to think
> that heterogeneity was required for a meta-analysis. In my mind, if
> there was no heterogeneity, there was no point in even using the
> meta-analytic method (I thought no heterogeneity more or less meant
> all studies "reported the same result" / that they all "agreed").
This is interesting. Yes, heterogeneity has to be expected, see Julian
Higgins's paper https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/37/5/1158/871288 .
However, it never came to my mind that heterogeneity was *required*. Of
course, it is not: in cases where there is no heterogeneity at all
(probably true only in a minority of research questions), meta-analysis
makes much sense, as you can estimate the true effect with much more
precision as in each single study.

> [...]
>
> So : after reading the paper you suggested I read, is it possible that
> what I observed in the asymmetry of my funnel plot was actually mainly
> the heterogeneity of the data (say, differences in slopes due to
> temperature, or rainfall, or soil, etc... conditions in different
> studies carried out in different countries) ?
>
> I still believe that there might be a slight publication bias (because
> we expect yield to decrease with disease severity, and if the data
> does not show that we will tend to think that we did not observe "the
> effect of disease severity, all else being equal"), but I am not so
> sure anymore that publication bias could be the main reason why the
> funnel plot of this meta-analysis is asymmetrical.
>
> It seems that there may be more than one reason why it is, and some of
> these reasons I might (from what I understand now, but I might still
> be wrong) apparently never discover.
>
> However, I would definetly like to be able to offer possible reasons
> why it is asymmetrical, and what this means.

I just saw Michael's example what might have happened in a different
area, and in fact this seems to be a general pattern: Small studies tend
to show greater effects. As I am working in the medical field, I know
possible explanations from there (they cannot be well separated from
each other):

- Small studies often have been the first studies for the given research
question, conducted without funding, were less regularized, and had
particularly selected observations;

- Small studies consider more homogeneous study populations (in health
science therapy studies these are often subjects easier to treat).

This phenomenon has also be called the Proteus effect
https://journals.plos.org/plosclinicaltrials/article?id=10.1371/journal.pctr.0010036
.

As I don't know your field, it is difficult for me to guess what might
be behind the funnel plot asymmetry in your case.

Best,

Gerta