[R-meta] Model with intercept gives 0 heterogeneity but without intercept is ok

Luke Martinez m@rt|nez|ukerm @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 30 23:16:49 CEST 2021

Thank you, Wolfgang. I visited the link you kindly shared. But that link
only discusses the effect of removing the intercept on the fixed parts, not
random parts.

Also, in that link the fixed parts only include either a categorical or
only a continuous moderator, but not both types of moderators together. For
example, if we have two categorical moderators and one
continuous moderator, as in:

data$gender <- sample(c("M","F"),nrow(data),replace = TRUE)
data$sector <- sample(c("Pr","Pv", "NGO"),nrow(data),replace = TRUE)

Then, removing the intercept is the matter of which categorical moderator
appears last in the formula! For example, in:

(A): rma.mv(yi ~  0 + gender + sector +  X , vi, random = ~ 1 |
study/outcome, data = data)

R removes the intercept for "sector" because it appears last. But, in:

(B): rma.mv(yi ~  0 + sector + gender +  X , vi, random = ~ 1 |
study/outcome, data = data)

R removes the intercept for "gender" because it appears last.

My question is that do these behaviors in the fixed-part, essentially,
change the meaning/nature (e.g., what average is varying across study
levels) of the random parts?

Apparently, the random part is not related to the fixed-part in rma.mv(),
and that's why both (A) and (B), with or without the intercepts (i.e., 4
specification) all give the exact same estimates of their two variance
components?

Thank you,
Luke