[R-meta] MLMA - shared control group

Mon Aug 30 11:34:57 CEST 2021

Please see below for a note.

Not only the estimates of heterogeneity are off, but the SEs of the fixed effects can also not be trusted. So, generally speaking, if you know that your sampling errors are not independent (e.g., due to the computation of multiple effects based on the same sample of subjects or due to the use of a shared control group), then one should try to compute those sampling error covariances and put them into the V matrix or construct an approximate V matrix, using for example impute_covariance_matrix().

One *could* also ignore the covariances and then use cluster-robust inference methods so that the SEs are (at least asymptotically) correct. This won't 'fix' the estimates of heterogeneity, so those can still not be trusted then.

Also, as explained by Reza, if the V matrix is only an approximate one, then one could also use cluster-robust inference methods.

[snip]