[R-meta] Alternative view of fixed effects in meta-regression

Farzad Keyhan |@keyh@n|h@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Aug 28 21:55:31 CEST 2021

Dear Lukasz,

The post you linked (had a fleeting look at it) is demonstrating my
logic for a 2-level model i.e. random effects of the form: ~1 | ID. In
that case, a single within and between is sufficient. But in the case
of Tim's question, we have a 3-level model i.e. random effects of the
form: ~ 1 | ID1/ID2 hence, additional betweens and withins.

To build some intuition, say you have a big bag with 5 marbles in it,
3 red ones, and 2 blue ones.

The mean of the entire bag gives you the bag-level mean
("X_btw_study"). The means of color-specific marbles gives you
color-level means ("X_btw_outcome") in the big bag.

Now, each marble --regardless of its color-- can differ from the mean
of the big bag ("X_wthn_study"). Also, each marble --given its color--
can differ from its own color-level mean ("X_wthn_outcome").

Finally, color-level means can differ from the big bag mean
("X_btw_outcome_study").

This is how my line of reasoning works. But certainly
correction/feedback/comments are more than welcome.

Best,
Fred