[R-meta] Difference between univariate and multivariate parameterization

Luke Martinez m@rt|nez|ukerm @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 20 16:41:15 CEST 2021

Sure. So, for other data structures (below) where paste0(dat$study, ".",
dat$sample) alone can't produce unique rows (perhaps due to another nested
grouping variable like "grp"), the "within study heterogeneity" is given by
paste0(dat$study, ".", dat$sample)  and "within sample heterogeneity" is
given by paste0(dat$study, ".", dat$sample, dat$grp), correct?

Which then would mean that Fred's comment about studies with a single
estimate getting the same sigma^2_within that they shouldn't becomes
studies with a single sample and a single group getting two sigma^2_withins
(one for study, one for sample) that they shouldn't, correct?

Thank you, Luke

study sample grp
1     1      1
1     1      2