[R-meta] Adding random effect to SCE models

Farzad Keyhan |@keyh@n|h@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 4 18:34:13 CEST 2021

Hi James,

Thank you for your informative response. I also appreciate Jack Solomon's
helpful off-list comments (they may be helpful to other list members as
well).

To pick up on your last point which was that leaving the SCE's original
random specification as is would imply that "true effect sizes at different
time points are *fully* correlated if they come from the same study and the
same category", one concern I have, as noted in my original email, is that
most of my studies have multiple treatment groups in them.

I realized that this issue has recently come up on the list (
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2021-July/003019.html).
My collaborators have only "for indexing purposes" distinguished between
treatment groups in each study (variable "grp").

The post linked in the previous paragraph says: "it may be more "realistic"
to assume that true effect sizes at different time points are correlated IF
they come from the same treatment group in each study; rather than simply
each study as a whole disregarding the groups."

I agree (and perhaps you do too?) with that statement. In the case of my
SCE model, my "time" random effect, then, has to change from: "~ time |
interaction(study, mod_cat)" to now: "~ time | interaction(study, grp,
mod_cat)". But as the follow-up answer (
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2021-July/003020.html)
also explains, this strategy will produce a perhaps non-interpretable
variance component for "grp".

So, I was wondering what your thoughts are on using this strategy (i.e.,
adding an indexing variable like "grp" in the random specification of
"time")?

All the best,
Fred