[R-meta] Multivariate data: RVE imputing covariance matrices

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 15 19:19:17 CEST 2021

Hi Bernard,

Kind Regards,
James

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:36 AM Bernard Fernou <bernard.fernou using gmail.com>
wrote:

> *Question 1.*
>
> Could you confirm that the robust variance estimation is appropriate for
> our data (given that dependence between effect sizes are produced not only
> by the presence of several outcomes, but also by the presence of several
> independent variable measures)?

JEP: Yes. If your data are bivariate correlations between x and y, it makes
no difference (statistically speaking) whether you interpret one variable
as the IV and the other as the outcome.  If you have multiple correlations
estimated from a common sample of observations, then there will be
dependence in the effect size estimates.

> *Question 2.*
>
> Is there an approach that should be absolutely privileged (we tend to
> believe that the CSE approach would be the most suitable) and is the
> implantation of the various models employing an appropriate syntax?

JEP: First, the issue of returning NaNs. I can't say for sure without
access to your data, but this may be happening because some outcome
category is never observed in the data, or is observed only very
infrequently. Have you counted how many effect size estimates you have for
every category?

JEP: Second, to the question of which working model to use. Either the CHE
or SCE seem like they could be appropriate here. One of the
main differences between the two models is that CHE uses a study-level
random effect that is common across categories. As a consequence, it treats
the effect sizes from one category as *partially informative* about the
effect sizes from other categories. The literature on multi-level modeling
talks about this phenomenon as "partial pooling" or "borrowing of strength"
across effect sizes in the same study. Along with "borrowing of strength,"
CHE also assumes that there is a common structure to the heterogeneity
within each category, i.e., the between-study variance in true effect sizes
is the same across categories. In contrast, the SCE model ONLY uses the
effect size estimates directly within that category to estimate the
corresponding average effect. Using only the direct information can be
cleaner and easier to explain, but will usually yield less precise
estimates than an approach that involves borrowing of strength. SCE also
allows each category of effects to have a different between-study variance,
which can be useful (if the flexibility is needed) but costs something in
precision, especially if there are only a few effect sizes within a
category.

> *Question 3.*
>
> Is it correct to anticipate a within-study heterogeneity in true effect
> size according to the measure of outcome/independent variable while most of
> the studies (70%) used only one combination of outcome and independent
> variable measure?

JEP: Yes. The within-study heterogeneity term captures variation in the
true effect sizes within a study, above and beyond variation that is
explained by the category of the outcome/IV. If the categories explain all
of the within-study variation, then within-study heterogeneity should be
estimated as something near zero.