[R-meta] formula for calculating MCS (mean change score)

Gerta Ruecker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Thu Apr 15 12:31:58 CEST 2021

Dear Homa,

First of all, your questions seem very basic to me, if understand them
correctly. Otherwise, please correct me.

Secondly, what is mean change score? It is what the name says. You have
one or more groups of individuals and from (ideally) everyone you have a
pre- (or baseline) value x_{0i} and a post value x_{1i}. The change
score is the difference, for example post minus pre:

d_i = x_{1i} - x_{0i}

The mean change score within a group is the mean of the d_i within this
group. You may then compare these means between groups with different
treatments etc.

The calculation both in Excel and R is thus very simple - you must have
the x_{1i} and x_{0i} in different columns (rows are individuals) and
then build the difference.

Finally, please note that this is an R list, not an Excel forum and also
not a SAS or SPSS forum.

Best,

Gerta