[R-meta] Meta-regression assumptions

Prof. Mario Petretta petrett@ @end|ng |rom un|n@@|t
Fri Apr 9 13:25:31 CEST 2021

Dear mailing list members,

I performed a meta-analysis of proportions.

To examine the potential impact of moderator variables on study effect size,
I performed  a meta-regression using several candidate variables.

A referee states:

"Meta-regression needs that all GLM (general linear model) assumptions are
respected. Are you able to prove them? Otherwise, you should remove all
these analyses."

I read this very useful and clear document (Modeling Non-Linear Associations
in Meta-Regression -
https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:non_linear_meta_regression).

I ask:

beside visual inspection of plots, there are formal tests to evaluate if the
GLM assumption are respected in the context of meta-regression or the
approach for linear regression diagnostics is the same as for linear
regression out of context of meta-analysis and meta-regression?

Thanks for your time and attention

Mario Petretta

Mario Petretta, MD, FAHA

Associate Professor of Internal Medicine Department of Translational Medical
Sciences Naples University "Federico II" - Italy

IRCCS SDN, Naples. Italy

petretta using unina.it