[R-meta] GOSH plots for multi-level meta (rma.mv)

Fri Oct 30 12:48:41 CET 2020

Dear Hellen,

This is currently not implemented in metafor. In principle, the idea of a GOSH plot does generalize to more complex models although one needs to think about whether one would want to create subsets based on the indiviual estimates or based on some higher-level grouping variable. For example, suppose we have a multilevel structure such as:

study  esid  yi vi
------------------
1      1     .  .
1      2     .  .
2      1     .  .
3      1     .  .
3      2     .  .
3      3     .  .
4      1     .  .

So, what are, for example, then the subsets of size 2? Are they based just on the rows? Then the estimates in row 1 and 2 would be one such subset. Or does one base the subsets on the studies? Then rows 1, 2, 3 (i.e., studies 1 and 2) would be such a subset.

This could all be implemented (just like cooks.distance() and rstudent() allow for the optional specification of a clustering variable), but I haven't done this.

Aside from that: Fitting rma.mv models can take a bit of time. Doing this 1000's of times (based on all possible subsets) could take a LONG time.