[R-meta] Meta analysis for identical multinomial logistic models

Mon Nov 16 15:25:22 CET 2020

Hi Ricardo,

For every model, you should be able to extract the model coefficients. There should be 2 coefficients for every explanatory variable (since your dependent variable has 3 categories) and for explanatory variables that are factors with more than 2 levels, the variable will actually be represented by multiple coefficients. But in any case, one should be able to extract those coefficients. Also, one should be able to extract the var-cov matrix of those coefficients. If 'res' is your list with the 2000 models, maybe b <- lapply(res, coef) and V <- lapply(res, vcov) may provide these, but I don't know what you are using for fitting the multinomial models so I cannot try this out.

lapply(res, coef) still gives you a list, which you will want to turn into a vector (try b <- unlist(b)). You then would want to create a corresponding vector with 'player ids' and 'variable ids'. You could then meta-analyze the coefficients with:

rma.mv(b, V, mods = ~ factor(variable.id) - 1, random = ~ factor(variable.id) | player.id, struct="UN", sparse=TRUE, verbose=TRUE)

This could take a while (so setting verbose=TRUE to see the progress) and sparse=TRUE because that should help to speed up model fitting here.

In essence, you are doing a two-step multilevel analysis in this way. An example from a different context is provided here:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:two_stage_analysis

One could also fit a single multilevel multinomial model.