[R-meta] Meta-regression question

Mon Nov 9 13:57:54 CET 2020

Dear Hellen,

Just to clarify: Is 'Task' the same as 'task_category'? Or is task_category 'broader', such that there may be multiple tasks within the same study that fall under the same category?

In the latter case, you could even consider the model:

random = ~ 1 | Study/task_category/Task

But whether this is sensible also depends on how often you actually have multiple tasks for the same category within studies (if this occurs only rarely, then distinguishing these two levels is difficult).

Regardless, yes, your last model does make sense, but you don't need the parentheses, so 'mods = ~ task_category' is sufficient (assuming that 'task_category' is either a factor or a character variable; if it is numeric, then you need 'mods = ~ factor(task_category)').