[R-meta] HKSJ correction

Fri May 29 17:05:11 CEST 2020

Use it. Always. Essentially every simulation study that has examined this method has shown that it performs better than the alternatives (except maybe for permutation tests, but those methods essentially perform equally well and the former is much quicker). See, for example:

Langan, D., Higgins, J. P. T., Jackson, D., Bowden, J., Veroniki, A. A., Kontopantelis, E., Viechtbauer, W., & Simmonds, M. (2019). A comparison of heterogeneity variance estimators in simulated random-effects meta-analyses. Research Synthesis Methods, 10(1), 83-98.

One exception: When meta-analyzing dichotomous outcomes with rare events. But NOT using the method isn't the solution. One should switch to a different modeling approach then (e.g., logistic mixed-effects models).