[R-meta] Meta-Analysis: Proportion in overall survival rate

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Sun May 24 12:25:11 CEST 2020

Dear Nelly

Comments in-line

On 23/05/2020 16:27, ne gic wrote:
> Dear List and Gerta,
>
> Once more am interested in overall survival and my aim is to analyse the
> proportion(s) of patients left in the study at the 2 years time point as
> reported by Kaplan-Meir (KM) curves. Of course there are those that are
> censored and those that experience the event as time goes by as expected in
> KM curves. I have now double checked all the studies to be included in my
> meta-analysis dataset and I have selected all those that report the
> proportion of patients left in the study at 2 years.
> A number of those in the subset also included a risk table, thus I have
> access to those at risk at this 2 year time point should I need them.
>
> However, as I cannot directly infer the number of events(event) and total
> at risk(n) from the curves at 2 years time point which would have been
> convenient to plug into metaprop,
> I thought that I could instead try Gerta's advice and see if I can use the
> proportion (from each of the studies) and it's standard error (SE) -
> manually calculated instead.
>
> Questions:
>
>     1. Is it correct to manually calculate the SE using the formula: SE =
>     square root (p(1-p)/n). Where p = proportion, n = total at risk?

But you said you do not have the n necessary to do this so it is not
going to help I think.

>     2. Which R/Stata/SAS software function can then take in the proportion
>     and SE and give me a pooled proportion with CI and forest plot?

The two most used R packages are meta and metafor either of which will
do what you want.

> I welcome any comments and hints. If this is not reasonable, anything else
> I can do?

I think you are going to have to restrict yourself to those studies
which do give the number at risk at 2 years. I must say I would be
rather nervous about doing this if the degree of and reasons for
censoring were likely to be different between studies.

Michael

http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html