[R-meta] escalc() function and weights

Fri Jun 26 17:33:23 CEST 2020

Dear Mario,

I removed the 'formula interface' to escalc() because it did not add anything beyond what you can do with the escalc() function without that way of specifying the data. Keeping it in the package meant that I had to maintain two different but equivalent ways of specifying the data for escalc() and hence extra work for me.

So, the example where the data are specified in the 'long' format from the JSS package won't work anymore. However, one can easily restructure such a long format dataset back to a wide one with the reshape() function. So, given the dataset as shown on page 11 in the article, one could do:

dat.fm$cell <- 1:4
dat.wide <- reshape(dat.fm, direction="wide", idvar="study", timevar="cell")[c(1,4,7,10,13)]

and then use escalc():

escalc(measure="RR", ai=freq.1, bi=freq.2, ci=freq.3, di=freq.4, data=dat.wide)