[R-meta] Publication bias/sensitivity analysis in multivariate meta-analysis

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Mon Jun 15 12:44:28 CEST 2020

Just to add to Gerta's comprehensive reply.

One IPD analysis in which I was involved had a number of small studies
which were broadly positive and one large one which was effectively
null. The investigators were convinced that they were very unlikely to
have missed any other studies and the most likely explanation for the
small study effect was that the small studies were conducted by
enthusiasts for the new therapy who often delivered it themselves
whereas the large study involved many therapists scattered over the
country who were more likely to represent how it would actually work if
rolled out. I suspect similar things often happen for complex interventions.

Michael

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html