[R-meta] Publication bias/sensitivity analysis in multivariate meta-analysis

Norman DAURELLE norm@n@d@ure||e @end|ng |rom @grop@r|@tech@|r
Mon Jun 15 02:28:59 CEST 2020

Hi all, I read this thread, and the topic interests me, but I didn't quite understand your answer :when you say " Publication bias is a subset of small study effects where you know the
aetiology of the small study effects. If you do not then it is safer to
refer to small study effects. "
I don't really understand what you mean.I thought publication bias meant that the studies included in a sample of study didn't really account for the whole range of possible effect sizes (with their associated standard error).Is that not what publication bias refers to ? And if it is, how does it also correspond to the definition you gave ?Thank you !Norman.
----- Mail d'origine -----
De: Michael Dewey <lists using dewey.myzen.co.uk>
À: Huang Wu <huang.wu using wmich.edu>, r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
Envoyé: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 12:54:30 +0200 (CEST)
Objet: Re: [R-meta] Publication bias/sensitivity analysis in multivariate meta-analysis

Dear Huang

Comments in-line

On 13/06/2020 20:57, Huang Wu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Greetings. I have some questions about publication bias/sensitivity analysis. First, are publication bias and sensivity analysis the same thing? If not, how are they different?

Publication bias is a subset of small study effects where you know the
aetiology of the small study effects. If you do not then it is safer to
refer to small study effects. A sensitivity analysis could be almost
anything but usually it manes fitting the model to one or more data-sets
similar to the original one. Examples are leave-one-out analysis, or
using only a subset of supposed higher quality studies.

> Second, I saw people use funnel plot, fail-safe N, Egger�s regression test to test publication bias (http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/features), are these methods applicable to multivariate meta-analysis?

Yes they are.

Thanks.
> Third, what do you recommend to do publication bias/sensivity analysis in multivariate meta-analysis? Thanks

I think what analysis you do will depend on the scientific question.

Michael

> Best wishes
> Huang

> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]