[R-meta] Dependant variable in Meta Analysis

Tarun Khanna kh@nn@ @end|ng |rom hert|e-@choo|@org
Thu Jun 4 14:15:50 CEST 2020

Thank you for your reply Wolfgang.

The "beta coefficients" that I refer to are not standardized regression coefficients but the relevant regression coefficients in the original studies. Would it be correct to direcly meta analyze the coefficients even when they are not standardized? How to we take into account the standard error of the coefficients? I have seen meta analysis in the literature that use the tranformation beta coefficient/ (sample size)^1/2 but I don't see how that takes into account the associated standard error.

I have instead been calculating r coefficients using the t values of the relevant coefficients and the sample size using the following formula.

r = ( t^2 / (t^2 + sample size) )^1/2

I have been using the r to Fisher's Z transformation that you mentioned. Unfortunately, like you mentioned most of the studies employ multivariate analysis and so the transformation is not accurate. What would be the correct way to handle this?

Best

Tarun

Tarun Khanna

PhD Researcher