[R-meta] Overlapping CIs with significant difference among subgroups

Tue Jun 2 08:48:07 CEST 2020

Dear Rafael,

CIs can overlap and yet the difference between the two levels can be significant. See, for example:

https://towardsdatascience.com/why-overlapping-confidence-intervals-mean-nothing-about-statistical-significance-48360559900a?gi=b673a691634d

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/understanding-confidence-intervals-cis-and-effect-size-estimation

https://blog.minitab.com/blog/real-world-quality-improvement/common-statistical-mistakes-you-should-avoid

and many more (just google for "test difference overlapping confidence intervals" or something along those lines). They don't talk about meta-analysis per se, but it's the same principle.

So, you can trust the test of the difference between the levels of the moderators.