[R-meta] [EXTERNAL] RE: Unusual problem with metafor:rma output

Simonson, Richard J. @|mon@r1 @end|ng |rom my@er@u@edu
Fri Jul 10 15:48:44 CEST 2020

Thank you, Dr. Viechtbauer, for the clarification. The mechanism behind the phenomenon is definitely more clear to me!

Thank you,

Rich

PhD Candidate

________________________________
From: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:35 AM
To: Simonson, Richard J. <simonsr1 using my.erau.edu>
Cc: r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] RE: Unusual problem with metafor:rma output

Dear Rich,

Please keep the mailing list in cc.

The estimate of tau^2 may not fall inside of the CI when the method used to estimate tau^2 is not based on the same statistical principle as the method used to construct the CI.

For example, ML/REML estimation of tau^2 is based on a different principle than the Q-profile method that will be used to construct the CI. Usually, this doesn't cause any issues, but can occasionally lead to the estimate falling outside of the CI. Here is an example:

library(metafor)

dat <- structure(list(yi = c(-0.05, -1.86, -0.48, -1.15, -0.57, -0.64,
0.46, -0.53, -0.96, 2.71), vi = c(0.256, 0.928, 0.273, 0.287,
0.249, 0.103, 0.369, 0.061, 0.22, 0.824)), class = "data.frame", row.names = c(NA,
-10L))

res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="REML")
res
confint(res)

The Q-profile method is more aligned with the PM/EB estimators, so switching to those should solve this issue.

res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="PM")
res
confint(res)

If you want to stick to ML/REML, then a profile likelihood CI would guarantee that the estimate of tau^2 falls inside of the CI. To obtain such a CI, you can use the rma.mv() function to fit the same model, but then confint() gives you the profile likelihood CI:

dat$id <- 1:10
res <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 | id, data=dat, method="REML")
res
confint(res)

If you install the 'devel' version of metafor (https://wviechtb.github.io/metafor/#installation), then there is also an undocumented feature of confint() that gives you the profile likelihood CI when the model was fitted with rma():

res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="REML")
confint(res, type="PL")