[R-meta] Question on robust multilevel meta-analysis with subgroups

Fri Jul 3 12:47:29 CEST 2020

Dear Hellen,

For your general model, you are not showing the code for using the RVE method. That would be:

robust(General_model, cluster = df$Study) # adjust=TRUE is the default anyway

As for the subgroup analyses: Do you actually want to subgroup or use 'Subdomain' as a moderator? Right now, you are doing the latter, which is fine, but your description sounds more like you actually want to subgroup the studies. The difference in essence is: Do you want to allow the variance components to differ across subsets or do you want to assume that they are the same? A discussion of this distinction (for a simpler model, but along the same lines) can be found here:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:comp_two_independent_estimates

If you want to subgroup, you could do:

subdomains <- unique(df$Subdomain)

subdomain1 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 | Study/Tasks, tdist = TRUE, studlab = paste("Author","Task"), data = df, subset = Subdomain == subdomains[1]) # method = "REML" is the default anyway

robust(subdomain1, cluster = df$Study)

and so on for the other subdomains.

Note: For the general model you wrote "Studies" but then you wrote "Study" for the second model.

Since you are using RVE, you might want to stick to using 'Subdomain' as a moderator though. The RVE method works asymptotically, that is, as long as the number of studies is sufficiently large. The subgroups might become quite small, in which case the RVE approach might become less trustworthy.

You might also want to consider using the 'clubSandwich' package instead for the RVE approach. This uses better small-sample adjustments. In other words:

library(clubSandwich)
coef_test(General_model, vcov="CR2")
coef_test(subgroup_analyses, vcov="CR2")

or

coef_test(subdomain1, vcov="CR2")

if you really want to subgroup.