[R-meta] [netmeta] Error message in network meta-analysis: "Problem with multi-arm studies: Studies with inconsistent treatment estimates"

Gerta Ruecker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Fri Feb 7 17:36:16 CET 2020

Dear Rebecca,

First to the theoretical background of this error message: If you have a
three-arm study, treatment effects within the study must be consistent.
This means that for three arms A, B, C you have mean values x_A, x_B,
x_C of your score. The contrasts (differences) then are

  * for A vs B: d_AB = x_A - x_B
  * for A vs C: d_AC = x_A - x_C
  * for B vs C: d_BC = x_B - x_C

That is, you have relations between the three contrasts, e.g., d_AC =
d_AB + d_BC. If the data do not fulfill these relations, an error
message is given.

However, I have a problem with understanding your data structure, and
thus I don't fully understand how this can happen in your case. You say
you have three-arm studies, but how are they entered? Unfortunately, the
first three studies in your extract of the data are all two-arm. How do
the three-arm studies look in the data?

It would be easier to help if we could see the whole data set or at
least data for a three-arm study.

Best,

Gerta