[R-meta] Can we call moderators in subgroup analysis predictors?

Sun Dec 20 13:05:28 CET 2020

I think the reviewer uses the term "meta-analysis" exclusively when pooling a bunch of effects into a single weighted average. So, to him/her, it does not make sense to say that there are predictors/moderators/covariates (whatever you want to call them) in a meta-analysis. If there are predictors in the model, then the reviewer wants this to be called "meta-regression" and not "meta-analysis with predictors". I don't think the comment has anything to do with whether you use the term predictor or moderator.