[R-meta] Can we call moderators in subgroup analysis predictors?

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Dec 20 00:38:43 CET 2020

Thank you Michael. I had the same reaction. So, this was from a reviewer
who mentioned:

"You say moderators will eventually serve as predictors in a meta-analysis,
are you referring to meta-regression here? Moderators are not used as
predictors in a classic meta-analysis which simply pools all the effects
into a weighted effect size."

 My response was:

". . . In both cases, categorical moderators/predictors act as on-and-off
switches. I always prefer the meta-regression as it reveals the partial
effect of one moderator controlling for other moderators. But again, in my
context it is fine to generally use the term predictor. I think some may
even find the term moderator confusing because in general it may denote
some kind of interactional effect".

Just wanted to make sure I'm not too far off.

Thanks,
Simon